By now you are likely beginning to show or at least your changing waist line is evident to you. One thing that a lot of people ask me is how I kept my weight gain to 25-30lbs with my daughter. The key is to eat healthy. There is no secret to it. You need approximately 300 extra calories during pregnancy and what you choose for your daily calories makes a difference. Remember, you are growing a human life inside you. You need to eat healthy. Plus, 300 calories is not as much as you think. It is about the equivalent of a piece of bread with a spread of peanut butter. The other suggestion is to try to fill up on lots of veggies and fruits. The fiber will help fill you and the vitamins and minerals are great for you and baby. I used a website called BabyFit to help me stay on track for my previous pregnancy and for this one. You enter in your daily foods, exercise and weight gain. It is a great way to ensure you are on track. Plus the nutrition portion also shows if you are getting the correct amount of proteins, vitamins, etc.
Genetic testing is another big decision that you and your partner will have to make around this time in pregnancy. It is entirely up to you what decision you make. Personally, I chose to do the testing because I would want to be able to prepare myself for anything. If I had a child with a disability I would love them and treat them the same as any other child. However, I do not want to find out on delivery day. I personally think for my own life, it would benefit me to prepare. There are many differing opinions on this and there is no right or wrong answer. If you choose to do the testing it will involve bloodwork (there are many, many different types and it will depend on your age and what test your doctor’s office uses) and a NT Scan at around 12 weeks. This test is an ultrasound where the space at the back of the neck is measured to determine your baby’s risk. They may need additional testing like a CVS or amnio if they are concerned. With my first pregnancy I was a nervous wreck until I received these results. It is a scary time and it is hard to understand what is going. It is important to remember that the bloodwork and NT Scan are not a yes/no test. It is essentially a calculation that they take based on the results and your age to determine a risk.
Old Wives’ Tales…. Hmmm.. Am I the only crazy person who is so impatient that I cannot wait to find out what I am having!?! I have tried everything (just like with my first pregnancy) to predict the gender of this little one. Here are my results…
- Chinese Gender Predictor- Got 2 different answers with 2 different websites… Also got different answers depending on if I put my estimated conception date rather than date of last period.
- Baking Soda Test– When I peed directly into the cup with baking soda it fizzled (boy) when I peed into a different cups hours later and poured it into the baking soda it did nothing (girl). Supposedly, if you pee on baking soda or mix pee with baking soda it will fizz like pop if its a boy and do nothing if it is a girl.
- Mother’s Intuition– I’m convinced it is another girl based on my pregnancy symptoms which are very similar to my pregnancy with my daughter.. However, I also thought I was having a boy the first time.
- Heartrate– This LO’s heartrate is also REALLY high (160’s-170’s) just like my daughter.. Typically means girl. Apparently if the heartrate is around 140 or lower it is a boy and any higher and it is a girl.
- 12 week ultrasound– Tech guessed a boy, but she said she was only a little over 50% since it is sooo hard to tell at that point.. Some ultrasound techs can take a pretty educated guess based on something called the “Nub Theory.” All fetuses at this age have similar looking genitals, but guess based on which angle the nub is pointing.
- Intelligender– I tried this with my first pregnancy and it was correct. This is another test using your urine and it will change color based on the gender of your fetus. It can be done anytime after 10 weeks!
**I am not claiming that any of these tests are accurate or are going to give you a definite result. They are called Old Wives’ Tales for a reason. They are merely for fun!**
PS—- I find out in less than a week what I am having this time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone else doing crazy things like me?